In this option, one node is created for the slideshow with images as attachments. (using core upload module)
The uploadpath module is used to set a specific path where images of nodes are placed e.g. the path will become ddblock/nid-[nid]/images where node Id is automatically replace by the node_id of the created node.
The ddblock slideshow block will be configured to get the images from this path.
For each slideshow a new ddblock needs to be created to place the path. e.g. ddblock/node-116/images in the folder setting. (the token [nid] can not be used here.)
This solution is useful for one or a few slideshows on your site
If you want a solution where each image in the node is show in the slideshow in that node for a lot of nodes, like a gallery then another solutions like: How to create an Advanced slideshow with multiple imagefield images in a node is more useful. This option can use dynamic arguments and only one ddblock block needs to be made for all slideshows.
Links refer to the existing tutorial on this site.
Follow the detailed Installation instruction on how to install the required modules to create a basic dynamic display block image slideshow with images from a folder.
Addition module installations
This solution depends on the upload path module which requires the token module and the core upload module. So we have to install and enable them first.
- Go to http://drupal.org/project/token and download the token module.
- Go to http://drupal.org/project/uploadpath and download the upload path module.
Extract the token folder and the upload path folder and drop them into the /sites/all/modules/ folder.
- Navigate to Administer > Site building > Modules and enable the core upload module, the token module and the upload path module by selecting the check boxes next to "upload" in the Core group and "Token" and "Upload path" in the Other group.
- Click the save configuration button.
Create a specific content type
It is preferred to create a specific content type for the nodes which are used for the ddblock image slideshows.
Create ddblock node gallery content type
Path to Content types page:
- Navigate to Administer > Content management > Content types in the admin menu.
Detailed instruction on how to add a DDblock node gallery content type:
- Click the Add content type tab.
- Fill in the following form fields.
- Name - ddblock node gallery
- Type - ddblock_node_gallery
- Description - Node gallery with attached images to display with the dynamic display block module.
- Click the Save content type button.
Create upload path for the ddblock node gallery content type
Path to File upload paths
- Navigate to Administer > Site configuration > File upload paths in the admin menu.
Detailed instruction on how to add upload path for the ddblock node gallery content type:
- Goto Patterns for each node type
- Type the path pattern: ddblock/nid-[nid]/images At Path pattern for ddblock node gallery
- Click Save configuration
Create a ddblock node gallery node
Path to create a ddblock node gallery node
- Navigate to Administer > Create content > ddblock node gallery
- Fill in Title - Gallery 1 or a more descriptive name
- Attach images - Image used for slides.
- Click Save button.
- You need to attach at least two images for a slideshow to work
- The upload path module will now create the folders: ddblock/nid-[nid]/images in the drupal file path.
- Remember the node id for creating a dynamic display block
Create a dynamic display block
Path to configuration page.
- Navigate to Administer > Site configuration > Dynamic display block in the admin menu.
Add, configure and enable a dynamic display block.
- Type a unique block title in the block title field of the Add dynamic display block fieldset at the bottom of the screen. e.g. images from node-[nid] ([nid] is the node id you created.) or a more descriptive name regarding the kind of images
- Click the Add block button.
- Click the Configure block link in the "Dynamic display block" fieldset of the dynamic display block you just made.
- Set the image folder to ddblock/nid-[nid]/images ([nid] is the node id you created.)
- Click Save Block at the bottom of the page.
- Images form the folder ddblock/nid-[nid]/images will now be used in this dynamic display block slideshow
- Navigate to Administer > Site Building > Blocks in the admin menu.
- Find your block in the Disabled section near the bottom of the page. Select a region (e.g. Right sidebar) in the drop down box next to your block. This will move the block you just created to this region.
- Click the Save Blocks button.
After these steps you should see your added dynamic display block.
You can always adjust the settings at Administer > Site Configuration > Dynamic display block in the admin menu.
If you are not successful see: Images from an image folder are not displayed. in the FAQ for troubleshooting.